Piaggio x10 500 vibrations at low rpm, rollers change

<< < (3/4) > >>

roadster:
I would be very wary of changing the big spring in the clutch assembly. Its main function is to maintain the correct tension in the drive belt and it only affects the pulley ratios indirectly. getting it wrong could cause serious belt wear problems.

Dave Milnes:
The big rear spring works to control the torque effect on the gearing. If you lose speed on uphill sections and adding throttle doesn't lower the gear to maintain speed then the spring is too light. A heavier spring prevents the variator from raising the gearing too high when more torque is applied, or in effect allows the added power/torque to lower the gearing a tad.
The split rear pulley widens with applied torque against the spring tension and allows the belt to sit lower therefore raising the gear ratio, so a heavier spring prevents over raising of the ratio and also gives the bigger drop in ratio as more torque is applied for hill climbs or overtakes.
If you lighten the rollers up to 15% all that happens is the initial rev point is raised on launching from stationary giving a livelier start but once the clutch is engaged and the bike is rolling the effect gradually lessens until at 30mph upwards you really don't see a great difference so no change to the spring is needed.

parnell:
Quote from: Sekem on November 14, 2015, 20:17:34

>note: the engine is well known master 500 which is used on nexus,fuoco and mp3.

and as 400 in the X8
and it is well known, that is has vibrations. My dealer says: "It is a little bit abrasive"

Hi there  - that's quite interesting to me as I notice much more vibration on my Xevo 400 (same engine as X8 400) compared to the 250. Is this a general thing Dave or other experts are familiar with and is it something that I should be concerned about ? I hit 80kmh at 4000 revs and am at 100 kmh at 5000 which is obviously much lower than the Xevo 250 - at 80-100kmh the vibration is hardly noticeable. Is this something I need to be wooried about in terms of future mechanical problems and apart from fitting lighter rollers is there much that I can do about it? Thanks to all.

Dave Milnes:
The Piaggio MASTER 400/500cc motors are variable in their accuracy of balance. Being a big single where passive balance is not possible like it is with a twin, a separate balance shaft is geared to the crank. As it uses gears, chances are the perfect balance is between teeth on some crankshafts so each engine due to manufacturing tolerances will be different. My two are different, one better than the other.
The vibration should only really be during the bite of the clutch and on acceleration and should smooth out at constant speeds but they are never as smooth as a Deaville for example.
The vibes cause no damage other than to shaking the mirrors and screen a lot. Another reason they are felt on the larger motors is the more robust engine mounting that doesn't damp the motor from the frame with void bushes as on smaller models.

parnell:
Thank you very much Dave , donation very well earned - Happy New Year sir!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page